Home improvement jobs are tough, but very rewarding. These businesses usually offer services ranging from repairing a hole in the wall to large projects like adding a room to a home.
What You Will Need To Get Started
- You don’t have to have a degree to do home improvement, but you should have experience and work to become a licensed contractor. There are also trade schools that offer programs for specific specialties such as electrical or plumbing.
- You should check with your local city or town to apply for a business license and certifications. For many of the jobs you perform, you will need permits.
- You will definitely need to speak with a lawyer about setting up a legal business entity, such as an LLC, and about contracts.
- This is a business with a lot of risks, so you need to make sure your private finances are separate and protected. You should get in touch with an insurance agent to make sure you have all of the insurance you need to protect yourself and your family.
- The permits, fees, and tools for home improvement can be expensive, so this is not a business that should be taken lightly. Be sure that you are fully protected before you get started, in case of injury or lawsuit.
How Much Can I Make?
- A successful home improvement business can earn $30,000 to $100,000 a year.